Monday 3 September 2012

The Beautiful Art of Handwriting

Some might start to argue these days that handwriting is no longer an important skill and we don't really need to teach it anymore because we have arrived in the digital age. But I would challenge the idea that kids don't need to learn how to write.

Kids Handwriting

I think a person's handwriting can have just as much impact on making an impression as the way you dress or how you brush your hair. Other than doctors, very messy handwriting can be difficult to read, hard to interpret and can be frustrating. But reading the writing of someone with beautiful lettering can be a pleasure and can really show of their creativity or interest in making an effort.

The actual practice of writing by hand is a really hands-on approach for kids to learn to read and spell while they are forming their own words on paper. From an early age young children begin to learn the shapes of letters and as they put those letters together they start to form words. While writing the words they start to learn the basics of punctuation and gradually move in to story telling and reporting. Taking the time to write the words gives them time to process what they are writing and understand it, as opposed to typing where they are simply repeating patters and can be reliant on spelling and grammar checkers.


For me personally, I love to write. I mean physically get out a pen and paper and write things down. Every day I write lists, notes to myself, notes to others, drafts of ideas and things I want to do. I love practicing my hand writing and re-writing important things to make them neater and more logical as I go. But the biggest reason that I write by hand, is because as I'm doing it, I make an imprint in my memory, and I often find that later on I don't need to refer back to my notes because I can see what I've written in the back of my mind. Others may need to refer back to their notes often in order to remember, but better to refer back than to never write them down and forget!

So with all of this, why not make handwriting a fun activity in your home? It will encourage your children to pick up a pen and practice their handwriting and give them a fun way to practice their spelling and reading. I've put together a few ideas for you to get your kids writing at home, in a way that will be so fun they won't even know they are learning!

  • Have them write out your grocery list
  • Keep a note pad handy to jot down things you need as they run out
  • Make a post box out of a cardboard box and leave "mail" for eachother
  • Write a letter to Grandma, an Aunt or Uncle, or long distance cousin
  • Find activity books that have sections for handwriting
  • Put up a whiteboard with pens or blackboard with chalk for writing & drawing
  • Print out handwriting sheets with topics that interest your kids (e.g. Justin Bieber, Ben 10). Just google and you'll find a heap of sites.
  • Spend time writing activities and appointments in a diary or calendar
  • Staple some blank sheets of paper together and write & illustrate their own stories
  • Write messages on greeting cards for birthdays and christmas
  • Recycle computer paper and make your own notepads for the kids to write on
  • Get in on the act yourself and start keeping a journal of your thoughts or notebook to jot down your own ideas. If they see you writing, they will be begging you to get their own notebook!
There are so many ideas you could come up with; but the more they practice, the more confident with their handwriting and their spelling they will get, so why not do some of these ideas and give your kids the opportunity to be the one with beautiful and neat handwriting that shows off their intelligence and creativity.

If you have any other suggestions, go ahead and leave a comment with your ideas! Or send us a story or picture about the ideas you have used in your home! We would love to hear about them and share with our friends!!!

Find more ideas like this here to make learning fun for your kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment