Saturday 13 July 2013

The Space Between

 For the next couple of weeks Ballarat will be treated to a fine exhibit of all things bookish. The Space Between is a gorgeous display of interactive sights & sounds for young and old!

Books aren't for everyone though, especially for those who have struggled to read through learning difficulties or disinterest. But that doesn't mean they can't enjoy the stories within the books, the stories behind the books or the way the look, or feel, or smell. What history lies in those old dog-earred covers? What adventure awaits within the pages?

So even if the kids aren't "readers" as such, there is still fun here for everyone!

Being a go-go-gadget girl, naturally I stopped first at the iPad. A digital library of eBooks, collections and even a digital version of Amy's very own book written & illustrated with her Gran when she was 10. You can stop by here and flick through the books and collections of old pictures. Any kids out there NOT want to play with an iPad?
eBooks

Then there's the part where I wish I was 3 again and could go to these story tellings & mobile library visits? Now that the big kids are back at school, the little ones can have some learning that's fun of their own. You get to dress up in your favourite Catepillar or Wild Things outfits! How cool is that? Click here for the dates & times.

This was the bit I loved the most. A collection of Amy's very own handmade books from her childhood. Exercise books, pages sewn and stapled together, illustrations & blurbs and wildly imaginative stories. Reminded me of a Cinderella book I made for my Nan once, and then my non-fiction books I made about Medieval Times, then Ancient Greece. Not for school, just for fun.
Kids Books

Grab some paper, some pencils and some time with the kids and make your own books. What could be more fun. If they would rather draw than write...let them do it. Shaun Tan barely writes a word and his books are AMAZING!

And while you're there take a couple of books to exchange. The collection has started off and will grow over the next few days I'm sure! I love this idea. You could try it with your friends & family with children's books. A constantly rotating library in your own home. Wouldn't that be great?

Book Exchange

Well as you can imagine, I absolutely loved the exhibition. There is so much to see, touch and be a part of. It was literally a case of the more laps I did, the more I found. Even got myself a little art work. If the kids are interested in history there is plenty to be found there too. Pictures & books of old Ballarat, old books from your childhood you can show them and ancient copies of The Courier!

Go here to find out more.

Now that school is back treat yourself to a special time to relax and enjoy the surroundings. Or take the littlies for some bookish fun!

Happy Learning :)

2 comments:

  1. It's a great exhibition Louise, I particularly like the techie side, as you would expect... so good to see books, projection, glasses and images all joining together in a grand show such as this one by Amy Tsilemanis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the little yellow envelopes. Remember being a library monitor, putting the little cards in the files, and stamping the tickets. Memories. haha

      Delete